As I write (29.6.2019) ... last weekend, Shaw Fair, this afternoon Melksham Carnival, next weekend Semington. The busy season. Network Rail have specified a change from Orange to Pink Hi-vis for volunteers and the Melksham Rail User Group is amongst the first to wear these
From 1999 but still relevant in 2019
• To ensure a continued rail service at Melksham
• To increase the train service provided at Melksham
• To encourage train operators to provide connections with other train services such that a wider choice of journey opportunities by rail is available from Melksham
• To improve and enhance the facilities at Melksham station
• To seek improvements to the route between the town and its station
• To support initiatives aimed at increasing the use of the railway for freight and passengers generally, in order to reduce road traffic in west Wiltshire
• To increase local awareness of the advantages of rail travel and greater use of public transport
• To promote integrated public transport in the Melksham area
An update from 2016
• To represent the interests of passengers and other users of Melksham station on railway and government bodies, and to act as the prime conduit for feedback to those organisations, both through direct contact and through the TransWilts CIC
• By membership of the TransWilts CIC, to support the permanent provision of, and expansion to, the rail service at Melksham
• To lead Station Adoption activities at Melksham to facilitate, and where appropriate implement, enhanced amenities, including application for funding where applicable, for such improvements.
• To encourage use of Melksham station by individuals and business users, including promotional events
• To analyse actual and potential Melksham station users travel plans, and hence recommend potential improved connections
• To increase awareness of, and provision of integrated public transport more generally in Melksham and the surrounding area
• To educate users in all safety related issues and regulations
As of 29th March 2021, you may make none-essential journeys by bus and train as well as essential ones. But please make your early journeys local ones; can't do much at the far end, anyway, yet but lots of lovely country walks. Social distaning and mask rules still apply.
download train timetable to May 2021
News and Upcoming ....
Trains now (on 21st Apr 2021)
Buses Back Better - 29th March 2021
Next MRUG meeting - 19th May 2021 - AGM.
Minutes from 17.3.21 - ((here))
|Car park - pay cash or phone in to RingGo 0203 046 0060 / location code 21575. ((details))|
* Bus Back Better / Option 24/7 (Wiltshire) ongoing thread
* A further suggestion to replace short haul flights by trains
* Not so safe for the ladies?
* And in the other news ...
* Cotswold line - request for it to become clock face
* Spot the line, compare the service (3 of 3)
* Berkshire's long-forgotten railway stations - "Berkshire Live"